[rbak-nsp] SmartEdge 600 limits to 1Mpps on 10Ge-4-port card

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Thu Nov 29 04:36:00 EST 2012

On 2012-11-29 03:37, support support wrote:
> Well...
> We have updated bootrom to 2.0.2.66, after that tried to boot to 11.1.2.3
> Things got worse - we still had the 1Mpps problem, got 2 new problems
> - OSPF couldn't load routing table, BGP failed on updates with
> Aggregate AS 0.
> We had no time to fall back to 6.2 release, so we asked not to send us
> Fullview, configured static routing, left it untill this morning.
>
> This morning we falled back to 6.2 release and tried to move the most
> loaded link to an 10ge-oc192-1-port card(we have installed it yesturday.
> When i tried to configure port - i got message " cannot bind this
> circuit to the interface. It has an incompatible NAT policy. "
> So we decided to upgrade to 11.1.2.6p1. Now we have this release
> working. OSPF works as if it were 6.2 release, BGP must work, we shall
> give it a try on one of our uplinks.
>
> Now I have some questions:
> 1. what is the oversubscription of 10ge-4-port card? Does it limit the
> sum of traffic on each pair of ports to 10G full-duplex? If so, then
> we reached this limit.

All third generation cards (based on PPA3) have 20G FullDuplex throughput.
So, if you have 4 x 10G, you can have max 20G in + 20G out. The
oversubsription is 2:1.
If you use just 2 of this ports you will never overload it. However,
additional ports are quite usefull in many configurations and... you
can't have flat 10G load on a port
and keep proper quality so...

> 2. what should we do with our chassis, if it fails to determine
> hardware type on warm start? As we do "release upgrade" or "upgrade
> boot", it reloads and fails to find out chassis type(sometimes it says
> 0x9 - unknown, sometimes 0x0) and sets chassis type to default SE800.
> After boot finishes - we unplug power cords, plug them in, watch boot
> up process - everything is ok, chassis type is correct.

on ours:
Slot                : N/A               Type                : backplane
Serial No           : G61BQ3711Q05NE    Hardware Rev        : 01B
EEPROM id/ver       : 0x5a/4            Mfg Date            : 06-SEP-2011
MAC Address         : 00:30:88:04:96:DC POD Status          : Success
ODD Status          : Not Available
Chassis Type        : SE600

Slot                : N/A               Type                : backplane
Serial No           : G61BQ4310Q01E1    Hardware Rev        : 01B
EEPROM id/ver       : 0x5a/4            Mfg Date            : 29-OCT-2010
MAC Address         : 00:30:88:04:91:FE POD Status          : Success
ODD Status          : Not Available
Chassis Type        : SE600

Lot's of reloads since powered up, never had any problems with chassis type.
Maybe you should replace it.

Regards,
Marcin