[rbak-nsp] BGP - GracefulRestart & BFD - how does it work ?

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Sat Jun 15 06:44:09 EDT 2013

>     Ok, config is quite clear. Dependencies between processes also.
>     However:
>
>     - if BFD runs on linecard, what happens if linecard crashes ? Is
>     it able to inform bgpd then ?
>

> This is different kind of events. The line card failure event have
> different handling procedure, but result is the same - all processes
> will receive appropriate notification. However, in case of iBGP or
> multihop eBGP session you may want to have "fast-reset" option configured.

Right, I mean this should be quite logical so I should have known this ;)

>     I suppose that there is some BFD parent process on XCRP that
>     controls BFD on linecards, but - is it ?
>

> RIB is responsible for BFD provisioning from control plane side.

Ok. I know that redback/ericsson engineers/software designers are good
engineers so probably nothing wrong happens,
but to be sure - what if ribd crashes ? Does it have any influence on
BFD/BGP while unavailable ?

Regards,
Marcin