[rbak-nsp] L2TP extended failover

Bernd bernd at kroenchenstadt.de
Wed Aug 20 08:36:43 EDT 2014

Hi list,

we're happily running a bunch of Linux machines using l2tpns terminating
several tens of thousands of L2TP sessions. Until a year ago, without
any problems, for almost half a decade.

A year ago our upstream provider changed its BRAS from some Cisco gear
(IIRC) to Redback -- from then on, L2TP extended failover stopped
working.

We reworked the code so that we can configure every valid combination of
Result Code and Error Code (see RFC, [0]) for CDN.

However, regardless of sending 2,4 (``Insufficient resources to handle
this operation now''), 2,6 (``A generic vendor-specific error occured in
the LAC'', this is "Cisco style" from what we gathered using tcpdump),
or 2,7 (``Try another''), it does not work: The Redbacks just ignore the
other peers we're running, simply no more session is established, *even*
on the machines *not* being in softshut.

So, e.g. we're running six peers, switching one of them into softshut
seems the Redback make think *every* peer of ours is in softshut.

Did anybody discover similar problems? If yes, how did you solve this?
Any clues what Redbacks ``want to hear'' to behave properly?

Best regards,

Bernd

--

[0] - http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2661