[rbak-nsp] CLIPS: Forward all DHCP requests to ALL DHCP servers?

Voigt, Thomas Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de
Fri Jan 2 05:17:59 EST 2015

Hi all and a 'Happy New Year' to everyone,

I've configured CLIPS here and use two external DHCP server which are sharing their load as follows:

- DHCP server 1 answers only to even MAC addresses
- DHCP server 2 answers only to odd MAC addresses

If one server fails, the other one is responding to all requests.

So I have to configure the SmartEdge to forward ALL incoming DHCP requests to ALL DHCP servers in parallel.

How to do this?

This is my actual config:

dhcp relay server a.b.c.129
   forward-all
   server-group dhcp-hsi
!
 dhcp relay server a.b.c.130
   forward-all
   server-group dhcp-hsi

With this config the SmartEdge does some round-robin load sharing and does ask the second server only if the first one isn't responding after 3 requests and several seconds between them. This is a very long time...
Additionally the SmartEdge recognizes the not answering DHCP server as "dead" and gives him a downtime of 10 seconds.

--
Regards

Thomas