[rbak-nsp] link group on 4x10G card (SE600/1200) for dot1q purpose

Marcin Kuczera marcin at leon.pl
Mon Oct 23 08:02:13 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-23 09:18, Voigt, Thomas wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
>> is there anyone here that uses link group on SE600/1200, software 12.1.1.x ?
> Yes, me.
>
>> - need to check if it should work if link group contains 2 ports from same card
> Yes it works.
>
>> - need to check if it should work if link group contains 2 ports from different cards
> Both cards have to be of the same type and both ports have to be the same speed.
> Then: Yes, it works.
>
>> - above need to do like round-robin or some hashing to distribute outbound traffic quite equally
> As Olivier wrote, you can use the "service load-balance" commands to configure the load balancing.
> But it isn't really a distribution by load. Rather a distribution by circuits. And a circuit can be a PPPoE subscriber session, a dot1q pvc or such things.
>
> We had problems with load balancing on heavy used vlans (thousands of dhcp endpoints in one vlan) and with MPLS/VPLS traffic between 2 IP endpoints.
> There was only a traffic distribution by dot1q pvc regardless, what was configured by "service load-balance". If you have a lot of traffic in ONE vlan, you will have a lot of traffic on ONE port. If this port reaches 100%, packets will be dropped.

And this is the nasty part... Ok, lets say - ditribution of traffic
towards RedBack will be done by switch, so such traffic will be properly
balanced.
But subscriber's outgoing traffic will not, so we can consider that for
1 vlan towards BGP core, max RedBack SE600/1200 capacity is 10G.

Not good, however still we have a space in this direction for 2-3 or
more years. I have to think about plan B (like SSR8801).

Marcin

--

Marcin Kuczera / Wiceprezes Zarządu / CTO
+48 32 440 80 71/ marcin.kuczera at leon.pl <mailto:marcin.kuczera at leon.pl>

Leon Sp. z o.o.
ul. Kilińskiego 33d, 44-200 Rybnik
http://www.leon.pl/