[rbak-nsp] link group on 4x10G card (SE600/1200) for dot1q purpose

Voigt, Thomas Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de
Mon Oct 23 03:18:15 EDT 2017

Hi Marcin,

> is there anyone here that uses link group on SE600/1200, software 12.1.1.x ?

Yes, me.

> - need to check if it should work if link group contains 2 ports from same card

Yes it works.

> - need to check if it should work if link group contains 2 ports from different cards

Both cards have to be of the same type and both ports have to be the same speed.
Then: Yes, it works.

> - above need to do like round-robin or some hashing to distribute outbound traffic quite equally

As Olivier wrote, you can use the "service load-balance" commands to configure the load balancing.
But it isn't really a distribution by load. Rather a distribution by circuits. And a circuit can be a PPPoE subscriber session, a dot1q pvc or such things.

We had problems with load balancing on heavy used vlans (thousands of dhcp endpoints in one vlan) and with MPLS/VPLS traffic between 2 IP endpoints.
There was only a traffic distribution by dot1q pvc regardless, what was configured by "service load-balance". If you have a lot of traffic in ONE vlan, you will have a lot of traffic on ONE port. If this port reaches 100%, packets will be dropped.

I've managed to distribute the dot1q pvcs over the ports as I like by creating "dummy pvcs".

- if BFD is possible in such cases ?

Don't know.

- is it normal that in link-group dot1q mode - for every vlan separate link-group is automatically created ?

No.
You configure each dot1q pvc in the same link-group. Then assign this link-group to some ports:

link-group test dot1q
 dot1q pvc 2
  bind interface l3-interface l3-context
 dot1q pvc 1101