[rbak-nsp] CLIPS problems

Sebastian Podjasek sebastian at podjasek.pl
Mon Aug 27 06:48:21 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

we're observing some strange issues with CLIPS connected subscribers
lately and I'm wondering has anyone ever run into similar issues with
SEOS-12.1.1.12p13-Release.

Issue #1 - subscriber connected but no Internet access, after
investigating it seems that Redback is ignoring any ARP who-has request
from this subscriber, after changing IP address it starts working, after
assigning the same IP to another subscriber it stops working for them.
ARP issues are related to the particular IP address, the solution was:
`process restart arp`.

Issue #2 - subscriber not able to connect, after changing IP address
connection is established - seems similar to PPPoE issue with improper
session close, but PPPoE session expires in some reasonable time, here
it lasts indefinitely. After looking at `show subscribers log username
...` you can see that invalid session have `CCT_HANDLE = Unknown
circuit` instead of proper circuit assigned. Besides changing failed
subscribers IP we tried to do XCRP switch-over to reset some 'internals'
- which seem to fix this problem, but it also introduced new issue...

Issue #3 - subscribers not able to connect at all. Valid working
subscribers stopped working after XCRP switch-over, all their DHCP
discover request seems to be ignored. No entries in subscriber logs, no
queries to RADIUS or DHCP. Some of them start working after `process
restart clips`.

Sebastian Podjasek