[sysmon-help] snmp survey

Jared Mauch jared at sysmon.org
Fri Apr 18 15:45:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 09:00:21AM -0700, Eric Hendrickson wrote:
> Hi Jared,
>
> I would like to use the SNMP features of Sysmon. I guess my first request
> would be more detailed documentation so that I can really get up to speed on
> Sysmon's SNMP capabilities.
>
> It's a wonderful tool and I'm eager to use it for SNMP polling and
> management. Keep up the great work!

	here's a few examples.  I'll work on getting better snmp
docs available.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Example of checking a Juniper power-supply for failure.
It polls the oid and compares the return value with the number
2, which reflects normal operational state.  Any other value
represents a failed power supply.

object juniper.example.com.PS-A {
        ip "juniper.example.com";
        type snmp;
        snmp-type "exact";
        snmp-exact "2";
        oid ".1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.13.1.6.2.1.0.0";
        community "public";
        desc "juniper.example.com PS A has failed";
        dep "juniper.example.com-ping";
        contact "netadmin at example.com";
};

Example of alerting on high cpu utilization on a cisco router.
This compares the 1 min value from 'sh proc cpu' with 25.  If
it is over 25%, it generates an 'alert'.

object cisco.example.com.cpu {
        ip "cisco.example.com";
        type snmp;
        snmp-type "high";
        snmp-high "25";
        oid ".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.57.0";
        community "public";
        desc "cisco.example.com CPU usage";
        dep "cisco.example.com";

};

Example of temp based alarm for cisco device:
If temp goes above 28C, generate alarm.

object cisco.example.com-temp {
        ip "cisco.example.com";
        type snmp;
        snmp-type "high";
        oid ".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3.1";
        desc "TEMP ALERT TOO WARM";
        snmp-high "28";
        community "public";
        contact "netadmin at example.com";
        dep "cisco.example.com";
};

Example of Cisco router, check memory free.  Watch for leaks
or decreasing amount of memory available:

object cisco.example.com-snmp-mem-free {
       ip "cisco.example.com";
       type snmp;
       snmp-type "low";
       oid ".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.48.1.1.1.6.1";