[sysmon-help] memory corruption on reload

Jared Mauch jared at sysmon.org
Mon Aug 13 11:59:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 04:40:48PM +0100, Chris Wik wrote:
> Sometimes when I run 'sysmond reload' I get the following error:
>
> # sysmond reload
> sysmond: 16:21:28 sending signal 1 to sysmond process 5454
>
> [root at brick ~]# sysmond: 16:21:28 Done reloading new config file
> *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x098a05d0 ***

	Does it leave a core file?

	What was the configuration change that was made between these two
"reloads"?

> I'm running 0.92.2 on CentOS 4.5, kernel
> # uname -a
> Linux brick.eego.net 2.6.9-55.0.2.EL #1 Tue Jun 26 14:08:18 EDT 2007
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Glibc version is 2.3.4-2.36. sysmon was compiled with gcc version 3.4.6
> 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-8)
>
> After trying to reload sysmond seems to crash and needs to be killed
> with signal 9.

	When this happens, can you use gcore to obtain a core file, or instead
use kill -6 (ABORT) to collect the core file so it can be reviewed with gdb?

	When using gdb, please include the output of the stack trace, you can
get this by typing "bt" at the (gdb) prompt.

> Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have any ideas how to fix it?

	I've had a "beta" version in development for some time, which should
also reduce the overall cpu usage of the application.  I'd like to resolve
this issue and determine if there is enough interest in a minor feature
release.  I know i've been slow in development ;)

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net