[sysmon-help] memory corruption on reload

Chris Wik cwik at chriswik.com
Mon Aug 13 12:33:48 EDT 2007

Jared Mauch wrote:
>> [root at brick ~]# sysmond: 16:21:28 Done reloading new config file
>> *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x098a05d0 ***
>
> 	Does it leave a core file?

Not in my cwd, or /tmp, or /usr/local/bin (where sysmond lives). Where
else would I look? (apologies for my ignorance in this area!)

> 	What was the configuration change that was made between these two
> "reloads"?

Adding new monitors, it happened with various different types of
monitors, both in the sysmon.conf and inside included config files.

>> After trying to reload sysmond seems to crash and needs to be killed
>> with signal 9.
>
> 	When this happens, can you use gcore to obtain a core file, or instead
> use kill -6 (ABORT) to collect the core file so it can be reviewed with gdb?
>
> 	When using gdb, please include the output of the stack trace, you can
> get this by typing "bt" at the (gdb) prompt.

OK, next time it happens, I will try this. Right now of course it is
reloading perfectly :-)

But I have more configurations to add, so I am sure it will happen again...

> 	I've had a "beta" version in development for some time, which should
> also reduce the overall cpu usage of the application.  I'd like to resolve
> this issue and determine if there is enough interest in a minor feature
> release.  I know i've been slow in development ;)

While you're on the topic... One thing I would like is for the uptime
stats to be non-volatile. At the moment when ever sysmond is restarted
the uptime stats are reset, it would be nice if they were saved to disk
somewhere so we could see long term trends, even if sysmond has to be
restarted for whatever reason. It would also be useful to have
historical data to back up the SLA's some of our customers have.

--
Chris Wik
ANU Internet Services Ltd
E: chris at anu.net