[VoiceOps] GLBX soft switch

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Wed Aug 5 10:43:08 EDT 2009

Technical concepts are often different from Marketing terms.

	At my last company we used the term "SIP Trunking" to refer to
configured SIP connectivity to an end customer's equipment, generally
limited by a network element to a specific number of maximum concurrent
calls with one form or another of flat-rate pricing.  "Virtual PRI" is a
good analogy.

	We used the term "O&T" (Origination and Termination) to refer to
wholesale SIP arrangements to another carrier/large customer's switch that
was metered (pay for all calls) and was not limited (by anything other than
available bandwidth and upstream PSTN trunks) in terms of concurrency.  This
would equate to carrier SS7 and ISUP trunks in the PSTN.

	Perhaps a good analogy is "Peering" vs. "Transport" or "Transport"
vs. "Internet Access" in the IP connectivity world.  They are all just pipes
for moving packets but they come with different agreements and pricing,
often due to the "size" of the deal, and they are often provisioned very
differently from a technical/facilities standpoint.

	-Scott