[VoiceOps] Local Inbound Services

katia voiceops at chickey.org
Mon Aug 10 15:25:09 EDT 2009

Just to add to what David mentioned, in addition to complex call flows we
also spend a great deal of time planning and testing our origination
redundancy.  We like to focus on what type of equipment each carrier has so
we feel comfortable with how redundant they are, because unlike our
termination traffic, we have no control over the calls coming in... It also
helps to know their equipment so we know how easy interop will be.
The carriers I have experience with for origination --

XO - No origination redundancy.  You have to call them and they will swing
you to the redundant trunk.  No road map for adding in automagic redundancy.
 :(
360N - Redundancy
GLBX - Redundancy
Level(3) Vector - Highly Redundant

The big guys with a stable platform usually have Sonus gear and some have
ACME SBCs.  All of the above have Sonus equipment.

As far as account management, 360 is probably at the top and L3 second.  XO,
Global and L3 are just large though and sometimes it shows.

The other thing we like to make sure of is the carrier is doing some level
of call capturing for "go back in time" troubleshooting.  Nothing more
frustrating to a customer than something happening and no one has any clue
why.  Global and Level3 can do this very easily... It is on the 360N road
map.

-katia