[VoiceOps] Lower executive expectations for VOIP?

David Hiers hiersd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:50:59 EDT 2009

Hi,
There's a thread on nanog about some gomer at idiot.net breaking a big hunk
of routing because they didn't filter BGP properly.   It got me thinking
about running phones over the internet...

In my experience, when we replace a TDM phone with a VOIP phone the
expectations for reliability and quality are unchanged at the highest
level.  In other words, as long as its two lumps of noisy plastic connected
by a stretchy cord thingy, the CxO's expects the classic (mythical?)
five-nines of the TDM world.

Do you get cut any slack just because its a VOIP phone, and VOIP is totally
cool?

Thanks,

David