[VoiceOps] Does anyone implement RFC 3219?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Aug 20 01:20:07 EDT 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 9:18 PM, Jonathan Thurman wrote:

> Does anyone use RFC 3219 - Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP), or are
> there any vendors that implement it?  After doing some research into
> different peering methods, I am not sure why this seems to have
> failed.  Here is a link to some useful information about TRIP if you
> don't know about it: http://www.packetizer.com/ipmc/trip/  Thanks
>
> -Jonathan

Acme Packet did at one point, perhaps they still do?  Jasomi also used
to have a TRIP stack - maybe remnants of that still exist somewhere in
Ditech.  There was an open-source reference implementation from Vovida
that didn't really work (I put some funding into it a while back, but
the task was too big to complete.)

It's a nice idea, but there are serious political issues to overcome
to make it work inter-organization which is why I suspect it never
really took off.  That, and the concept of "routing" in this fashion
is so unusual to standard telephony-type engineersmthat it just didn't
get mindshare.

The good news is that it created/validaed the concept of the ITAD (IP
Telephony Administrative Domain) as a number similar to that of an
ASN.  This is being used in the freenum.org ISN-style dialing methods.

JT