[VoiceOps] network jitter tools

Peter Childs pchilds at internode.com.au
Tue Aug 25 21:32:43 EDT 2009

That sounds sweet!  I'd love to see/hear how you go from gulping
chunks of data to finding and extracting what you want from all those
streams (?)

I hacked up a signalling only fault finding solution based on jNetPcap
and the H2 in memory database so we capture and store all the
signalling traffic on the front end of our SBCs... I can store about
7-8 million packets in about 15GB of RAM, which gives us a few hours
of back history.

Given some spare CPU cycles on the capture box we can also track and
monitor things like registration continuity on clients, User-Agent
make/model/version, and ASNum/CountryCode distribution of clients etc.

On top of that we run a RESTlet server that allows our customer reps
to run traces on customers via SQL on the in memory database.... the
resultant data is converted via JavaScript into SVG ladder-trace
diagrams

In terms of the original query about network jitter I would assume
running something like Cisco's IP-SLA or similar between the hop-on/
hop-off points of your network would give you some demonstrated
confidence and assurance in the performance of your own network.

Passive taps will only give you 'partial' view of performance, unless
both ends support RTCP in which case life is much better.

Cheers,
   Peter