[VoiceOps] Conferencing NPAs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Dec 9 13:54:53 EST 2009

Paul Timmins wrote:

> Michigan has mandatory thousands block pooling, and active LNP in most
> of those exchanges. I'm sure many of these other states are the same.
> Blocking this is a really dangerous thing to do, even if you don't care
> that the FCC would take a dim view. 906-204 for example has cingular
> cell phones in it.

I was about to say, Ujjval:  if you're going to block things, at least
take care to block them at the NPA-NXX-Y pooled level.  90% of the
markets in the country are pooled;  NPA-NXX is no longer a useful way
to determine which carrier a call is being routed to, and has not been
for a long time.  As Paul says, in MI there may be little to no
correlation between NPA-NXX and what you (or L3) are/is seeking to block.

LNP dips are ideal, but 7-digit prefixes will still get you get
somewhere;  NPA-NXX will not.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems