[VoiceOps] VoIP (SIP) to VoATM conversion

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Thu Dec 10 06:47:36 EST 2009

Hi Brent

On 24/11/2009, at 9:41 AM, Brent Paddon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hoping to tap the collective minds here.  I am wondering how to best convert voice traffic from VoATM/VoDSL to VoIP (SIP in particular).
>
> Here in Australia, a lot of competitive carriers deliver ISDN (up to E1) over SHDSL tails with an IAD of some description (eg Verilink) on the end.
>
> We have access to SHDSL tails, but of course with IP overhead we cannot squeeze 30 channels down a 2M/2M circuit if we run G711.
>
> Does anyone have any idea on how best to scale a solution whereby we can remove the IP overhead but still use our softswitches (seems to me that a lot of the competitive carriers here are using ATM directly plugged into their older switches).

There's really only two ways to attack this that I can think of - you either need more bandwidth out of your SHDSL service using something like Ethernet over Copper type solutions (eg Hatteras), or really tune your G.711 codec to get the most out of an ATM delivered service (eg: turn your sample size up to 30ms and try and cram an extra channel or two in there!)

I don't imagine EoC is going to keep you competitive unless you also use it to deliver network services, but with up to 5.7Mbps down a single pair, you may well be able to do this.

Good luck!