[VoiceOps] SMS receive security

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Thu Dec 10 12:18:24 EST 2009

On 12/10/09 9:53 AM, Peter Beckman wrote:

> The SMS is also delivered over the air, which means it can be intercepted.
> I know that there is some sort of authentication between the phone and the
> tower, but since SMS is part of informational messages sent between the
> tower and the phone, it may not be encrypted, and may be easily sniffed.

On GSM networks, the SMS is not encrypted.  I don't know about CDMA
networks.  While intercepting GSM messages is non-trivial, it's not
hugely difficult either if you're ready to spend some cash and time to
do it.  Still, this would have to be a very targeted attack in the
context of one-time tertiary authentication data, and not useful in general.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve

Advanced phone services simplified