[VoiceOps] Old code vs bold code

anorexicpoodle anorexicpoodle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 13:30:11 EST 2009

Typically there are two things that drive me to move code versions, the
version I am on is declared end of life, or the new version offers a
feature we need to stay competitive, outside of those things I am
typically inclined to leave well enough alone and focus my energies on
other things.

I don't really have a pre-determined time I like to let things idle in
the market before I use them, but my general rule of thumb is if I am
expanding an older project or adding elements to an already
in-production environment I will keep the additions in-line with the
version of what is already there. If I am building something new all
together I will generally start on the newest there is, and by the time
the project is done and out of beta the newest at the time of build will
have matured quite a bit.

Out of curiosity how many out there do actually have full labs of their
environments? I know this is an arena where the full open-source guys
have an advantage over those of us using big name vendors, since getting
the budget for a pair of SBC's can be hard enough, let alone getting
budget for another one just to play with.