[VoiceOps] Old code vs bold code

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:29:36 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Daryl G. Jurbala <daryl at introspect.net>wrote:

> The "free version" (ESXi/vSphere) is identical to the version you pay for,
> minus the manageability and failover/redundancy features.  Are you talking
> about the nearly defunct VMWare server that runs on top of a base OS?

 I've certainly noticed network latency issues on ESXi when system I/O
increases. (Hundreds of ms jitter.) I figured this was the same with ESX as
well, but there might be architectural differences between the two platforms
which would make a difference.

Or, maybe there's something else going on. Many ESXi users do use the local
datastores, so maybe that's where the "enterprise has less timing issues"
perception comes from -- if you're paying for licensing, you're probably
using a SAN and vice versa. If using local datastores affects network I/O,
"enterprise" users might sidestep this issue entirely.

-Nick