[VoiceOps] Old code vs bold code

Daryl G. Jurbala daryl at introspect.net
Thu Dec 17 16:49:48 EST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 4:29 PM, nick hatch wrote:

> Or, maybe there's something else going on. Many ESXi users do use the local datastores, so maybe that's where the "enterprise has less timing issues" perception comes from -- if you're paying for licensing, you're probably using a SAN and vice versa. If using local datastores affects network I/O, "enterprise" users might sidestep this issue entirely.

Timing issues have nothing to do with what datastore type you are using.  They have everything to do with how VMWare handles interrupts.  VMWare server is a disaster, ESXi and ESX, free or not, do a much better job without having to go in and do ridiculous things to kernel parameters.

I guess I'm just not understanding your point here.  I've been using VMWare Server/ESX/ESXi both free and licensed versions since long before VMWare Server was even a product (it used to be GSX).  Asterisk runs fine on it, other than some stuttering issues under load on GSX/Server.  The problem with running Asterisk under any VMWare is that it is a CPU heavy endeavor, which negates any cost savings or benefits of VMWare.  Unless you are running some asterisk setup that you can't properly partition/multi-tennant, I'm just not sure what VMWare gets you (other than dev/staging boxes).