[VoiceOps] Old code vs bold code

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:43:30 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Daryl G. Jurbala <daryl at introspect.net>wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 4:29 PM, nick hatch wrote:
>

> > Or, maybe there's something else going on. Many ESXi users do use the
> local datastores, so maybe that's where the "enterprise has less timing
> issues" perception comes from -- if you're paying for licensing, you're
> probably using a SAN and vice versa. If using local datastores affects
> network I/O, "enterprise" users might sidestep this issue entirely.
>
> Timing issues have nothing to do with what datastore type you are using.
>  They have everything to do with how VMWare handles interrupts.

Indeed, that makes sense, and is what I was getting at. However, if you have
a local datastore, you're generating hardware interrupts on the box above
what one would see with remote storage, no? It would seem to make sense that
under heavy load, when interrupts matter, not running a RAID controller of
your own could be an advantage. Gigabit NICs have sane methods of dealing
with interrupts, like coalescence.

I could be wrong, however. My point was just an attempt to explain why
someone might think timing issues are related to "non-enterprise" VMWare.

-Nick