[VoiceOps] Old code vs bold code

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Thu Dec 17 17:19:40 EST 2009

On 12/17/09 2:29 PM, nick hatch wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Daryl G. Jurbala <daryl at introspect.net
> <mailto:daryl at introspect.net>> wrote:
>
>     The "free version" (ESXi/vSphere) is identical to the version you
>     pay for, minus the manageability and failover/redundancy features.
>       Are you talking about the nearly defunct VMWare server that runs
>     on top of a base OS?
>

>   I've certainly noticed network latency issues on ESXi when system I/O
> increases. (Hundreds of ms jitter.) I figured this was the same with ESX
> as well, but there might be architectural differences between the two
> platforms which would make a difference.
>
> Or, maybe there's something else going on. Many ESXi users do use the
> local datastores, so maybe that's where the "enterprise has less timing
> issues" perception comes from -- if you're paying for licensing, you're
> probably using a SAN and vice versa. If using local datastores affects
> network I/O, "enterprise" users might sidestep this issue entirely.

I've never used ESXi, so I can't address it at all.  Presumably it's the
same kernel as ESX/VI3, but without actually trying it I can't say
anything about it.  Our server cluster consists of Dell 1850 blades with
the ESX OS stored locally (36GB 15k RAID 1 on a dedicated controller)
and the VMs on an EMC iSCSI SAN.

Running on local SATA storage is far more demanding and wasteful of
resources.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve