[VoiceOps] IPV6

anorexicpoodle anorexicpoodle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 00:01:52 EDT 2009

Since we, collectively, are steering one of the industries driving up
individual utilization of the IPV4 address space as well as being one of
the most sensitive to NAT which is the only way through which IPV4 has
been sustained as long as it has; it seems like a worthy exercise to
discuss our own, and the industries preparedness to adopt IPV6.

Has anyone out there had any experience using any of the open source
platforms (OpenSIPS, Asterisk, SIPPY etc) with native IPV6? It seems
like these projects are the best equipped right now to handle this move
since they rely heavily on the network stack of the underlying OS.

Are there any endpoints or other CPE that anybody has had luck getting
to work over native IPV6?

So far I am unaware of any carrier grade (meaning it costs a lot of
money) softswtch platforms that are ready for this, or seem like they
would be without a multi-year effort. Anybody out there that can
enlighten us on this one?

Any experience with SBC's or border elements that are or will be ready
to handle IPV6 in deployment (either native 6 to 6 or 6 to 4 through a
b2bua)

Finally any comments or thoughts on the whole topic, I am interested to
see other opinions and approaches to the topic.