[VoiceOps] Bring Your Own Bandwidth/Network

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Fri Oct 30 12:23:45 EDT 2009

On 10/30/09 8:59 AM, David Hiers wrote:
> Hi,
> What's your experience with offering VOIP to business customers in a
> Bring Your Own Bandwidth/Network environment?

We do that for the smallest customers, and also allow it for larger
customers if the carrier has QoS and tells us specifically they will
support QoS for our needs.  In any BYOB situation, we warn the customer
of the potential problems very clearly.  If their carrier promises QoS,
we copy the customer and carrier with this information and our
expectations.  If the customer just wants to use something cheap (DSL)
and they are small, we again explain the possible issues and let them
decide.

Information and agreement is the key here.

The great thing is that cellular has lowered the bar for acceptable call
quality.  If a small customer is saving money, getting new features, and
has the occasional cell-quality call, they accept that.  IF they were
warned in advance.