[VoiceOps] Acme SBC geographic redundancy

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Sep 6 21:05:00 EDT 2009

Jason L. Nesheim wrote:

> Right, that would impact existing established calls and subscriptions.
> However, larger problem is that in a failover condition endpoints would
> begin sending SIP Invites to a SBC (pair) that does not have a valid
> registration cached, and depending on the configuration, SIP port map.
> Depending on the re-registration interval, this could result in outbound
> call failures for anywhere for a couple minutes to an hour or more.  In
> the reverse direction the inside SBC IP would be unique at each site.
> This would render the metaswitch unable to contact the endpoint for PSTN
> -> VoIP calls for the period of re-registration as well.

 From a conventional IT/IP data person's perspective, I think these
problems are all an acceptable tradeoff given the relatively marginal
scenario under which an Acme would fail or a facility would fail, as a
whole.

But people with LEC backgrounds won't put up with this way of thinking,
typically, because they're used to being regulated and under legal
mandate to provide high availability, and used to resilience built into
big-iron technologies that have remained relatively unchanged for a long
time.  VoIP operators are somewhere in the middle at this point, but the
tendency seems to be to increase their regulatory burden, in principle.

The reality is that to get this HA setup going with geographically
redundant endpoints - including getting the routing stuff right - will
require that you spend 90% of your resources to get the last 2% of
reliability.  Even then, if anyone harbours delusions of fast, seamless
protection switching, well, prepare to be disappointed.  It's not going
to happen.  Nor should it happen.  It's just not economical, and not
worth doing.

As long as you can get away with it from a legal perspective - and so
far, as a VoIP operator, it seems that you can - I would advise everyone
to calm down, stop hyperventilating about the critical distinction
between four-9s and five-9s, and just put in the redundancy measures to
meet enough requirements to survive commercially.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems