[VoiceOps] Contacts for in-progress phishing scams?

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:46:00 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I've been receiving bizarre credit card phishing calls which are far more
sophisticated than many I've heard of. The caller purports to be be from
"Card Services" and says you qualify for interest rate adjustments. They
then lure you into providing your credit card number, expiration date, and
other information.

The calls I received carried CID : 714-360-xxxx. When you call this number,
a recording says something along the lines of "this is a scam. The person
who called you was trying to get your credit card number. Please call your
local law enforcement, your bank, and don't give out any information." This
leads me to believe that SIP fraud is probably involved here too.

There is another number (772-408-13xx) which is still live and accepting
phone calls. The scam has been going for several days now.

The banking industry has its own set of fraud-prevention groups, but I'm
unsure about their efficacy in cases of ongoing scams like this. Does anyone
have any appropriate contacts (law enforcement, or otherwise) who would be
clueful and appropriate to contact?

Thanks,

-Nick