[VoiceOps] Full global country/city list similar to NANPA list

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Feb 2 01:27:41 EST 2010

On Feb 1, 2010, at 1:13 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:

> On 02/01/2010 03:56 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:
>>

>> On 2/1/10 1:49 PM, Colin wrote:
>>> Maybe I misread the original post if your not worried about the cost
>>> what are you looking for?
>>
>> The LCR system is all about cost. However in building it, logic
>> says you
>> find the absolutely most granular model possible, and build up from
>> there. That's the theory anyway. Then, again in theory, all rate
>> decks
>> should fit into that model and you have neat and concise database
>> queries.
>
> Carlos, as long as you have confidence in all your carriers'
> willingness to complete a call to a given destination at a given
> price, I think the simplest strategy for you would be to generate a
> retail deck according to the most granular prefix available for
> every destination among all carriers in your LCR table.  When two or
> more prefix/provider tuples are of equal prefix length, choose the
> highest one, the lowest one, or average them, or average them and
> then add a certain %.
>
> It really just depends on how likely it is that a given carrier will
> not actually complete a call and you'll have to fall back to a much
> more expensive rate from the next-cheapest carrier.

I'd tend to agree with Alex - this is at least the most "cost-
conservative" way to do it.

However, if you're looking for a solution that is more complete, and
has other bonuses, I'd suggest the "GDDS" product from Telcordia.  Not
only do you get a pretty good idea of both domestic and international
route termination behaviors, but you can also do nifty things like put
city names or service classes on your customer CDR/billing entries
when all you have is the number they dialed.  Often this is quite
handy.  It's costly, though - to be oblique, figure at least one
MacBook per month, roughly.  Price varies based on your usage model.

Most critical in the data delivered by this service is the ability for
them to tell you what is a "mobile" versus "non-mobile" termination
number.  When the cost difference is 10x or 20x, this makes a big
difference in your routing engine.  Carriers are known to be a bit
"forgetful" about telling you what routes are billed at what rates.
My favorite was a company (who shall remain nameless) who gave us
rates for termination into the UK, but wouldn't give us actual route
prefixes.  "Oh,  you have to figure that out on your own - the data is
available..." was the vague answer.

I wrote about GDDS here:

   http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-December/223455.html

...and I wrote a document as a template for standardization of routing
information here, but I suspect nobody uses it:

  http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/misc/rates/

<sigh>  The pain goes on.  So glad I'm not doing that ops stuff any
longer.

JT