[VoiceOps] Phone Number Joe Jobs

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Wed Feb 3 11:59:15 EST 2010

On 2/2/10 10:56 PM, anorexicpoodle wrote:
> I have seen this as well, though with more malicious results such as 911
> hangups with the customers callerID.
>
> I would love to hear any suggestions on tracing the malicious calls as
> well, since I know there are a lot of ITSP's that allow customers so
> send whatever callerID they want so this might be an exercise in futility.

I think eventually this is going to result in some sort of "know your
customer" legislation like the banking industry now has.  If all
carriers would make logical decisions based on the customer, this would
not be an issue.  We allow our larger and known customers to set CID,
but if we take a telemarketing/call center customer we force their CID
and ANI on our side.  Sure, some rogue admin inside any company could
play games, but it's a lot less likely.

Have you checked to see if ANI is available and the same as the
presented CID?

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve