[VoiceOps] Broadworks Patch Religion

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Wed Feb 3 20:24:42 EST 2010

My original reply still applies to patch dependencies.

IMHO if one needs certain patches to address negatively impacting
behaviour, one looks into all of the dependencies required, perform the
appropriate lab testing, and then deploy if all lab testing and
pre-production soak periods have passed without problems.  If there are
any problems in testing, one has to consider which bugs/behaviours are
worse to live with for the time being and make a judgement call.

Really it's all about trade-offs, some prefer to take the extra time and
be more thorough and others like to take extra risks to be more nimble.

I'm more in favor of being as thorough as possible and taking the time
to ensure as smooth of a patch rollout as possible to mitigate as much
risk as possible relating to new bugs and/or unwanted behaviours.

Regards,

Justin Randall