[VoiceOps] Call Recording Laws in the US

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Jan 13 15:21:25 EST 2010

So I've been thinking about call recording laws recently and wanted to get
some feedback.

     1. As an ITSP, are we held liable for enabling our customers to
        potentially illegally record a phone call in states where all-party
        notification is required?  Or is it solely on the party who did the
        illegal recording?

     2. Interstate phone calls get tricky -- it may be legal for
        single-party notification in the originating or terminating state, but
        illegal in the other.

     3. When a California resident has a California phone number (a state
        which requires all-party notification and consent of call recording)
        receives a call when physically in Oregon, which law applies -- CA
        or OR?  Assuming the caller is in a single-party consent state.

Makes things kinda difficult -- I guess it is simply easier for the ITSP to
say "hey, you can record, but follow the laws." and hope we don't get mixed
up in it.