[VoiceOps] Call Recording Laws in the US

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Wed Jan 13 15:36:03 EST 2010

How does being an ITSP differ from a traditional telephone
service provider when it comes to call recording laws? It would
seem precedent has been set in the past for these types of
activities. What those precedents are, I have no idea, but just
because the call goes over "the internet" versus a copper pair
to the local central office would not change things in my opinion.

Or am I too naive when it comes to this topic? I imagine if I was
a Fairpoint retail customer of a POTS and I called and asked about
this topic they would tell me to get a lawyer and otherwise ignore
me.

As an employee of an ISP I would never tell a customer you can record
but please follow the laws. I would say consult a lawyer.

matt