[VoiceOps] Explaining router/NAT problems to customers

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Jan 28 14:56:52 EST 2010

I've always just explained it to them more or less literally, but I'm an
engineer.

What I've seen good salespeople / account reps do, when met
noncomprehension of such issues: suggest that the customer bought
"cheap" and "consumer-grade" routers that do not support "premium"
"voice-grade" services and that they should upgrade to something more
"industrial-strength."  If the service provider in question happened to
resell hardware, it was usually a good upsell opportunity.

I could never do that because I'm not hardcore. It takes serious
gumption to turn an angry customer's conviction that your product is
inadequate and deflect it back toward them and convince them that it is
their purchasing decisions and ignorance that are, in fact, the essence
of what is inadequate here.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC