[VoiceOps] Explaining router/NAT problems to customers

anorexicpoodle anorexicpoodle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:16:26 EST 2010

Ill second the Edgewater recommendation, we have been using them for
years now and while I am usually hesitant to describe any product as a
silver bullet, when it comes to solving for customer prem issues this is
about as close as you can get. That being said, if you are doing
residential deployments, or a high volume/low cost model sending our a
piece of gear that expensive to every customer just doesn't work and the
Edgewater still requires at least some touch to get setup and working
right.

I have found great success coping with poor CPE and BYOI using a
multi-layer approach, such as using non standard ports on adapters and
the SBC to dodge ALG's and anti-competitive ISP behavior (if i didn't
put the ALG there i don't want it messing with my traffic), a good SBC
solution on the access side to handle nat for your now non alg'd
traffic, and finally, keeping a STUN server around just for corner
cases, such as CPE that still can correctly classify SIP even on
non-standard ports, and enforce their ALG, these typically operate on
reg-ex replacement of host portion values throughout the packet, so by
using stun to pre-mangle in this case you can still dodge the ALG and
get your traffic to a known reliable state. I haven't encountered too
much in th way of CPE or ISP's that either one or a combination of those
techniques wont get around, except just a bad pipe, which there is no
cure for except arming the customer with as much info you can provide
and sending them to their ISP, and as a result I very, very rarely have
to talk a customer up, down or sideways on network gear.