[VoiceOps] Explaining router/NAT problems to customers

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Thu Jan 28 22:00:25 EST 2010

On 1/28/10 7:19 PM, Ujjval Karihaloo wrote:
> I recommend enabling Voip ALG on junipers, given u r on a pretty
> recent os load.

I think that's what started the issues on that one.  Today the customer
finally told us they upgraded the Juniper two weeks ago.  Coincidentally
around the time the phone issues started.

The BYOI model is for the smallest customers so cost is always an issue.
  We're talking the under 25 handset customer, often 5-10 handsets.  At
some point I do realize that cheap creates problems.  I just have to
find the balance.

I'm really leaning towards telling these customers that they have to use
a router we provide.  Like I said, even the WRT has a great track record
in this small-company space.  The company with the Juniper has ten
phones, the Juniper was just a big money-maker for their IT consultants.

For those of you who provide a router, what do you tell the customer if
they want port forwarding or NAT configurations?

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve

Advanced phone services simplified