[VoiceOps] Explaining router/NAT problems to customers

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Fri Jan 29 11:03:12 EST 2010

This is a very common case.  I actually am more concerned about trying to go
through an enterprise-class router than SOHO class Linksys type device
because of ALG functions.  A misconfigured or default ALG is a sure fire way
to mess things up.

There was a common case we had along these lines with the Netopia routers
ATT was deploying for a long time with its business DSL customers (really
anyone with static/multiple IPs).  The Netopia had an undocumented SIP ALG
that was enabled by default and not mentioned or configurable via the web
interface.  We had to get into the CLI and disable the ALG every time we
tried to set a customer up behind one of these.  Basically what happens in
the ALG replaces the IPs in the packets with whatever IP is on the router,
but didn't translate correctly on the way back in.

As for router configurations, there are 3 ways to handle that.  Either you
manage the router and make the changes for the customer, give them access
and say "you break you fix", or segment and pass off a different public IP
address to them so they can manage their own firewall.  I am big fan of
segmentation, but something like that obviously adds complexities and costs.

	-Scott