[VoiceOps] The peer of my peer is my peer?

Brandon Buckner BrandonB at netins.com
Tue Jul 13 18:58:34 EDT 2010

Yes, unfortunately, of the original Acme Packet branded SBCs only the 9200 performs transcoding. Although, it appears that the rebranded Covergent boxes (Acme Packet 2600 series) can transcode up to 400 sessions. I've been unsuccessful trying to convince them to add the ability to the 4250 and 4500 boxes that are otherwise underutilized and have spare processing power.

Also, some soft switches themselves can transcode if you force the media to hairpin through, such as Metaswitch. Capacity will depend on which PB cards are installed and how many.

----
Brandon Buckner
Switching Technician / VoIP Admin
Iowa Network Services