[VoiceOps] The peer of my peer is my peer?

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Wed Jul 14 10:48:08 EDT 2010

The great thing about the vocalized approach is that it maintains the
telephony application passed down to us by AT&T.

But the tragedy is great, too. We're all working so hard to limit
ourselves to the telephony of 1990:

-- No video.

-- No better-than-g711u audio.

-- No distributed presence.

-- No simple file transfer (which means you're stuck supporting fax
machines).

-- No easy conference control (moderation, floor control, remote mute, etc).

-- No location conveyance ("Bring me a large pepperoni pizza. Goodbye.").

-- No simple authentication.

-- No encryption.

-- No easy relocation of handsets.

Geoff, anorexicpoodle, and Paul are all arguing for a sober approach:
"The job of the network is to ensure people can carry on voice
conversations, so the network should do anything necessary to ensure
this occurs." So we centralize all our control into a few central, core
devices that act a lot like the 1ESS of 1965.

But we're all using technology designed by an entirely different
mindset. All through the VoIP RFCs, you get the idea that the job of the
network is to allow endpoints to interconnect however they want. Only by
pushing intelligence to the leaf nodes of the network can you have
scalable distributed applications.

We are selling the services that customers know they want. But please
don't pretend that that the network we're building is the final answer
for IP-based telecommunications, or even the most interesting
realization of VoIP technologies.