[VoiceOps] The peer of my peer is my peer?

Justin B Newman justin at ejtown.org
Wed Jul 14 14:53:13 EDT 2010

> But we're all using technology designed by an entirely different mindset.
> All through the VoIP RFCs, you get the idea that the job of the network is
> to allow endpoints to interconnect however they want. Only by pushing
> intelligence to the leaf nodes of the network can you have scalable
> distributed applications.
>
> We are selling the services that customers know they want. But please don't
> pretend that that the network we're building is the final answer for
> IP-based telecommunications, or even the most interesting realization of
> VoIP technologies.

Personally, I don't have a problem with endpoints interconnecting
however they want.  I do have a problem, though, with the idea that
because I use the same provider as another endpoint, the lack of
common settings (with the endpoint) results in a failed call, when, if
I were using a different provider, the call would succeed.

Even worse, because the failure likely occurs after the 200, there's
not a great way to fail-route.

-jbn
Justin B Newman