[VoiceOps] Splitting SIP+RTP PCAP files

Jason Ostrom iknowjason at pobox.com
Wed Jun 23 14:05:12 EDT 2010

Based on what you have said, UCSsniff is one free tool that could fit
this requirement - http://ucsniff.sf.net

The VideoSnarf tool of UCSniff takes an offline pcap as input, and
outputs all RTP media streams.  G.711u/a law, G.729 codec support mostly
used by SPs, but also supports H.264 Video codec.  The only problem with
VideoSnarf is that outputted media is uni-directional.  It doesn't
re-construct forward and reverse into a single wav file.

UCSniff does re-construct forward and reverse media into a single wave
file.  We spoke with a SP in NY who was using the Monitor SPAN session
feature of UCSniff to monitor SIP calls and save wav files for each
subscriber call.  You can run it on a system and receieve traffic from a
Monitor SPAN session.

Best of all, UCSniff and VideoSnarf are free.  You can modify the code
to fit your own requirements.  Let us know if or how it works for you.
We can create new features such as parsing ANI/DNIS, based on feedback
and justification.

P.S.  The VAST DVD (based on Ubuntu) already has UCSniff and VideoSnarf
pre-built - http://vipervast.sf.net.

Good luck with it all,
Jason