[VoiceOps] Question about Packet Jitter

Hiers, David David_Hiers at adp.com
Mon Nov 1 16:53:42 EDT 2010

Before you get down into the weeds with the math...

All the ITU docs that I've read portray the "network" as set of "non-rtp-aware, forward-as-fast-as-you-can router-type-things that probably have some qos capability".  The "edge" is implicitly defined as the first occurrence of a jitter buffer.

As near as I can tell, there are no rtp jitter buffers in an ITU "network" for which all this fancy math applies.  If you transcode, scrub media with a ditech pvp, or otherwise implement anything that knows it should generate an rtp stream by sending a packet every X milliseconds, the ITU math is bounded by that device.

If the SBC in your example transcodes or has a jitter/loss-concealment buffer, it *is* the edge, and you cannot average the link jitters as described in the ITU docs.

David Hiers

CCIE (R/S, V), CISSP
ADP Dealer Services
2525 SW 1st Ave.