[VoiceOps] Difficulties sending calls to Magic Jack

Dawson, Robert robert.dawson at mindshift.com
Thu Nov 18 11:53:07 EST 2010

A business model based on arbitrage is the only explanation for how MJ can continue to provide services, just like the "free" conference call providers. I mean, $20 doesn't cover a lot of call termination. Sounds like some carriers have figured out a way to break that business model while possibly staying within the letter of the law (maybe). We have run into similar issues with L3 failing to terminate calls to high termination fee services due to "limited trunk capacity" or whatever other reason they give.

The thing I don't get is that MJ offers numbers in metropolitan areas as well and there would be no termination fee paid on those calls, unless they figured out some way to route all termination to a rural area?