[VoiceOps] Strange Call Flow

Hiers, David David_Hiers at adp.com
Fri Oct 15 16:38:26 EDT 2010

You're quite right, it is perfectly legal to put SDP in 180.  It is also correct to state that any 1xx response can follow any other 1xx response.

My spin on the difference between 180 and 183 came from the draft that brought us the current usage of 183 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sip-183-00).  It provides some rather loose guidance:

   The introduction of the 183 informational response message would
   allow a called user agent to indicate to the calling user agent
   whether or not the calling user agent should apply local alerting for
   the session.  The existing 180 Ringing message would indicate that
   the calling user agent has the option of providing local alerting
   (and generally should).  The 183 Session Progress message would indi-
   cate that the calling user agent should not provide local alerting.

I pretty much see 180s used to carry (1) nothing at all or (2) an alert-info type parameter to tell the phone to play a particular locally stored sound, while I only see 183s used to carry SDP.  I can't recall seeing any exceptions, but we have a pretty tight selection of stacks around here.

As you said, YMMV :)

If only we had some "standards" worthy of the name...

David Hiers

CCIE (R/S, V), CISSP
ADP Dealer Services
2525 SW 1st Ave.