[VoiceOps] Clear 4G WiMAX and VoIP

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Oct 24 10:27:36 EDT 2010

In conversations some years ago (4? 5?) with their CTO at the time,
they were actively considering how to prevent VoIP from working
correctly to external providers via filters or QoS re-routers.  The
comment was something along the lines of "They're stealing my
revenue!"  I can see his point - yes, VoIP providers who are not
associated with the layer 1 network do seem to compete with products
also offered by the layer 1 provider.  But... welcome to being a
network provider.  This was the conversation that solidified my
already-strong opinion of why network neutrality is a good idea
despite the downsides.

I believe there have been several shifts of management since then, and
perhaps they're no longer considering such intrusive methods for
"management" of external VoIP traffic.  I have no idea if they
actually ever implemented such tactics, but it would occur to me that
a few tests would show suspicious behavior.

In a related note: has anyone built a toolkit for testing for the
presence of artificial QoS degradation?  It would be interesting to
see it done with a Java applet (or other "smart" app-like environment)
that could be launched via web browser by customers in the field.

JT