[VoiceOps] local calling database

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Fri Sep 10 12:22:51 EDT 2010

The difference between a local calling area and rate center is very
confusing, but there is a HUGE difference. A rate center identifies one or
more cities that are grouped together so they can be assigned to a
particular serving wire center. Local calling areas identify which areas an
end user can call for free. Here's the hitch, you can have multiple rate
centers in a single local calling area. The only way to find out what the
LEC considers a local calling area is to go to the LECs tariff and look it
up (which is really what all the fancy databases do for you.) Almost all the
LECs are set up pretty similarly in this area so let me show you how to find
one and then you can look through any LEC tariff for the rest yourself.

Let's just say we want to find the local calling area for Qwest Washington
state rate centers. You would go to
http://tariffs.qwest.com:8000/Q_Tariffs/QT_Tariff_State_Page/index.htm and
select Washington. Then click on Exchange and Network Services Tariff. Then
click on section 5.1.1 List of Exchange Areas and Local Calling Areas. It
will give you a list like this:
Local Exchange and Local Calling Area
LOCAL
EXCHANGE LOCAL CALLING AREA
Aberdeen- Hoquiam 				Aberdeen-Hoquiam, Copalis,
							Grayland,
Humptulips, Lake Quinault[1],
							Montesano, Ocosta,
Pacific Beach,
							Westport

That means that from Aberdeen-Hoquiam rate center, you can call any of the
rate centers on the right.

Mary Lou Carey
CLEC Consultant
BackUP Telecom Consulting