[VoiceOps] Rate Center Maps, Locations for NPANXXs

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Sep 20 14:43:51 EDT 2010

Peter -
   I strongly suspect that you describe below a systematic problem
with switch/NPAXXX mapping, as you indicate.  The exact example you
use may be a bit misleading as to the extent of those errors, though.
Bear in mind that the DC area has some very strange things in their
phone mapping, in particular, the Beltsville CO which you identify.
There are facilities served out of the Beltsville CO which are, shall
we say, "non-standard".  The Arlington exchange you reference may be
significantly farther away from the switch than is typical.  The
Beltsville CO may show some unusual mappings; I would suggest you
don't use it as an indicator or test case given the number of
technically complex government use cases in that area.

   The first (or second?) data T1 we had almost installed in our
office in Beltsville was an interesting example, though not directly
voice-related.  The Bell Atlantic technician wired it up into our then-
empty building, and asked "Is the tech at White Sands available to do
an end-to-end test?"  Since we were expecting a T1 to go about six
miles down the road, this was a surprise.  He looked at the expression
on our faces, looked back at his paperwork, and said "Whoops.  Let me
get back to you in a few hours with YOUR circuit."

   Lastly: Your phrase of "inconsistently and automatedly get the data
I need" is a truism for number-to-geography mapping these days.
Ultimately, there is a growing lack of geographic association with
numbers, and the relative value of doing that association is
diminishing.  For instance, I have no phone numbers associated with me
on a common basis that mapped to a switch that is within 2000 miles of
where I sit most often.  While I am a phone geek, this is growing more
common even with friends who are not in the telephony industry.  Other
than an increasingly inaccurate curiosity (pretty maps with lots of
lines!) I don't see much use for geographic association in the future.

JT