[VoiceOps] Rate Center to LATA map

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Sep 28 18:30:50 EDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 06:23 PM, Paul Timmins wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 05:11 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:
>>
>> No, really, I'm not screwing with you guys. There used to be a LATA
>> column in either the NANPA or the Pooling sheet. It has been removed.
>>
>> Part of me wonders if this is a conspiracy to screw little guys like
>> us right as more and more Tier 1 & wholesale termination providers
>> switch from NPA-NXX to LATA/OCN billing.
>
> Over time, Verizon and AT&T and Telcordia have been pushing agendas
> within the working groups behind NANPA (such as ATIS) that handle what
> information the NANPA is allowed to publish openly. In 2007 they
> removed the CLLI code field, ostensibly for antiterrorism reasons.
>
> Apparently knowing a 11 character identifier was a serious risk to
> public safety and so the logical conclusion was to remove it.
>
> It couldn't possibly be because I was taking that information,
> combining it with other information, and competing against Telcordia.
>
> Somewhere in my pile of crap I have all the legal threats they sent me
> when they first launched my website. It was good times.

I had a feeling it was something like that, not just a pseudo-random,
organic result.

It sounds like Paul's web site is probably the best value proposition
here, insofar as you get the most comprehensive and flexible data sets
for the best price.  And it sounds like it will get even more valuable
as NANPA and Neustar put out less and less useful data.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC