[VoiceOps] efax port out

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:20:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Alex Balashov
<abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>Are you sure?  The FCC was pretty firm in its 2007 clarification that ITSPs do not own numbers, but that logical end-customers own numbers
> I am guessing, however, that an inbound-only application provider like Efax is not considered an ITSP.  However, there is precedent for an end-customer forcing a hosted IVR company to allow a port-out (though I don't know to what extent regulatorily enshrined).

You would need to raise the issue with the regulators, for an
official determination,  assuming you exhausted all options for escalation
with the existing service provider,  and the SP doesn't offer any additional
services the customer could buy that  are "obviously" subject to porting rules.

The clarification the FCC made in 2007 was referring specifically to
interconnected VoIP providers at the time; there was no clear mention of
information service providers that utilize  dedicated phone numbers
to deliver other data services.  The FCC could of course take action to
revise the rules;  they could also consider requiring e-mail service
providers provide  Local "E-mail address portability" again.

Some fax receiving/voicemail services might not technically match the
definition
of interconnected VoIP provider  under the 47 cfr ;

if they either do not enable real-time two-way voice communication,
or if they do not require a broadband internet connection,
require special CPE gear,   or if they don't permit the user to both originate
and terminate PSTN calls.   Which is a pretty strict definition.

A Telco lawyer might be able to say  otherwise, but it would seem that
if they are not interconnected VoIP providers, and they are not telco
carriers,   they could at least make a very good argument that the
current porting rules don't address them.

--
-JH