[VoiceOps] T.38 termination provider?

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Wed Dec 14 04:48:12 EST 2011

Just to update everyone on this who piped in, and to be fair to FlowRoute...

A member of FlowRoute support contacted me off-list and told me that they have made some changes to their routes and list of upstream carriers since I contacted them about this back in August (and received the very non-committal "it may work, it may not...no guarantees" response), and they have apparently changed their stance and now claim unilateral T.38 support on all calls being terminated by them as of a few weeks ago, including to some international destinations (haven't tested this, so can't speak to this; just echoing what I was told).  He said if I'm still having problems I should open a ticket again.

So I ran the same tests I did before, and got the same results as before (actually, worse: I was 1 for 7 in my tests this evening).  Opened a ticket with the details (packet capture showed their end rejecting my T.38 re-INVITE), was told they tracked the problem down for that particular destination, opened a ticket with the upstream provider in question, fixed it in the meantime by re-routing around it, and asked me to try again.  I did so, and it is working 100% of the time now.

And all of this happened this evening, well after normal working/office-hours.  Needless to say, I'm floored at the amazing level of responsiveness (and results) that I got from them on this today.

All this to say that I'm going to give FlowRoute another chance (they've certainly earned it), although I appreciate some of the suggestions and offers I got both on- and off-list, as well as some of the other educational discussion surrounding T.38 and Fax-over-IP in general that this sparked.

Thanks, all,

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC