[VoiceOps] Cloudvox and their digits service

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Dec 18 20:54:42 EST 2011

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011, Paul Timmins wrote:

> Did someone say there's a gap I can fill? What did this service look and act like?

  The interface was a simple path-based request:

  http://digits.cloudvox.com/212/555.json

  It returned, in JSON style, a bunch of data, which included the NANPA
  ratecenter as well as latitude and longitude.

  Here's the cached help page:

  http://web.archive.org/web/20110722123756/http://help.cloudvox.com/kb/digits/digits-phone-number-location-lookup-api

  I'd use localcallingguide.com, but I have a few problems with it:

     1. It's XML, no other formats available.  I hate XML and it's a pain to
        parse without tons of annoying libraries.  JSON would be nice.
     2. The NPA/NXX lookup doesn't give any city information, or Lat/Lng so
        I can do a query to google to find the city that most closely matches.
     3. I thought that NANPA ratecenters were 10 characters only, but
        sometimes I get back strange ratecenter names for Canada that don't
        comply.

  I only used the REST interface; the DNS interface was interesting but
  didn't use it.

Beckman